Monday, December 15, 2008

The Nutcracker-The secret Black connection

Sometimes you get a random Black history fact out of the blue...

True story:
My daughter tried ballet at 2 but was too rambunctious for the flow of the class. I still want her to try it so to check her interest level I decided to let her go to the youth ballet performance of The Nutcracker this year. It's only about at an hour plus, we knew two girls in it.
As I was reading the local paper trying to find the performance times I saw this:
[Composer] Tchaikovsky and writer Marius Petipa based their Nutcracker on the adaptation of the Nutcracker story by Alexander Dumas, of Three Musketeers and Count of Monte Cristo fame.
What?! Did they say Alexander Dumas?? I only found out that this Black author wrote Three Musketeers and Count of Monte Cristo about 6-7 years ago and now, his book is the basis of this ballet classic?
Who knew????????????

No comments: