Saturday, August 6, 2011

Ramadan 2011 Iftar Menu

As-Salaam Alaikum! Ramadan Mubarak!

I sincerely hope that all who are reading these words are doing well and enjoying the best of Allah's (God's) blessings today!

Each year I can see how my menu planning is improving as I learn more about custom, culture and diet. Of course I utilize the wisdom in How To Eat To Live Books 1 and 2 and use that as the guide as I consider the likes and dislikes of my husband and myself to create an enjoyable menu for all each day.

The last post I did on this blog for an Iftar menu was in 2009. I noticed immediately that the meals did not include fruit.

For 2011, I am striving to make sure that my meal is VERY balanced and includes at least one cleansing vegetable or fruit. Also, we have the added benefit of our family garden that provides additional variety and herbs that had not been previously available. Below is basil pesto made with basil from our garden and a salad featuring our bounty of sweetie tomatoes.

On to the menu :o)

Bean Soup w/green onion garnish
Farina Bread
Salad and Fruit

Spinach and Basil quiche
Salad and Fruit

Veggie Sandwiches (avacado, lettuce, tomato, onion)
Black Bean Dip (made with left over black bean soup)
Milk

Baked Tilapia Sandwiches
Cole Slaw
 Fruit

Baked Chicken
Cabbage w/peppers
Stuffed (deviled) Eggs

Black Beans and Rice
Broccoli
Fruit

Farina Dressing
Cabbage w/peppers
Bean Soup

Garden Veggies Sauteed in Olive Oil w/garlic
Rice
Soup

Basil Pesto
Salad
Soup

Mini Salmon "burgers"
Corn on the cob
Cole Slaw
Fruit

Our drink of choice is iced tea sweetened lightly with raw sugar with lemon and cloves added.

No comments: