Monday, June 1, 2009

Father's raising daughters

I was married before. To a man with a daughter. I helped him when he got custody of her full time. He and the daughters mother agreed he should put her in school in the city we were in. I helped him raise her and when we broke up, of course she stayed with him and he became a single dad (for a couple years then remarried).

I said that as proof that I have some experience regarding what I am about to say (think, out loud).

I'm not sure if I like this new phenomenon of father's raising daughters alone.

I know in cases it has to be done but I'm meeting more and more men who have custody of their girls.

I also know that all circumstances are different and that being with one parent, in most cases, is better than being without either of them.

But again, I don't know what the effect will be. How will these girls view women? How will they view men? Who will be their guide to answer those feminine mysteries that come with peer pressure, teasing, that first broken heart and childbirth?

Maybe a family friend, an aunt or other relative could step in. But knowing a person inside out is really important when advising them on such personal matters.

For some reason I feel differently about male relatives advising a young man who is being raised by a single mother. I think that would work out fine...

Again, I'm thinking out loud here and just don't know how I feel.  I do know that I feel all "weird" when I hear of it and know of it.

What say you?

No comments: