Saturday, June 21, 2008

Fun day!!!

Our local Juneteenth - Freedom Celebration was today.
Here are some of my favorite shots of the day.

Another thing I love about my life is that I love what I do and the community shows me and my family SO MUCH LOVE. Baby Girl is sitting on the lap of Dr. Anne Butler who is a professor at Kentucky State University who is in charge of The Center of Excellence for the Study of Kentucky African Americans. She is recording and "clarifying" (i.e. stopping the lies about) our history in the state. She asked her friend who is a ventriloquist to make Baby Girl's doll talk, she is still trying to make that baby talk again!


Kentucky has a rich Black history. These brothers are reenactors of the Colored Troops that operated out of Camp Nelson. Camp Nelson provided training for 13% of all the Colored soldiers who fought in the Freedom Fight (Civil War). That was a percentage far greater than our own Black population. Lexington (Big City Wanna Be, as I call it) only reached 13% Black population by the last census in 2000.

No comments: