Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Using TV wisely

Now that Baby Girl (3 1/2) is reading up a storm she is really getting a lot from two PBS Kids shows in particular.

First is MY favorite Word World. It reminds me of The Electric Company (which we rent from NetFlix and I HIGHLY recommend those DVD's for age 2 and up). It teaches spelling rules and really is helpful as we expand past the short vowel sounds in our lessons. Her favorite part is when they build a word and she dances with them and goes to get her letters and objects to make pretend words, it's so cute! It does have cartoon characters and talking animals, which I am NOT a fan of but the benefits out weigh my objections. I've seen the DVD's for sale all over and even found them to rent at my local RedBox which is a whole 'nother post. I LOVE RedBox.



Next is Super Why! She really talks back to this show. She yells letters and sounds and I like that the Black girl is the princess (her name is Princess P so I definitely approve of THAT :0) These are both great supplement to our reading lessons.

1 comment:

Itiel said...

Help me out. I can never find the DVDs such as Electric Company on Netflix. I would love for my daughters to view them. Funny, I enjoy Word World and Super Why myself!

Itiel