Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Pattern Reviews Butterick B4722 (girls) and McCall's M6209 (womens)

As you can see, my posting is not consistent or frequent these days. No excuses from me though.

Butterick B4722

Back in November my daughter needed a black skirt for her concert performance. I knew I wanted a floor length skirt so I measured the waist and hips of a purchased skirt that we already liked, then I added the bottom from View E. And this is what I got!


This is not a real pattern review since I only used about 1/4 of the pattern. But I still plan to make more variations of this pattern (all floor length).

Fabric: This is made from the lightest gabardine sold at Hancock (which is a bit expensive). I have not had to iron this yet, it is a wash and wear fabric. I needed durability since she will need to wear this black skirt twice a year as long as it fits.
Would I sew it again: Yes, with variations.
Did it look like the pattern: Yes.

McCall's M6209

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes. So much so, that I read through them once and didn't look at them again.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like that it was easy and fast. Sometimes I look at simple designs on people and think, "I could make that" and then get scared to try to make it on my own. I liked that even though the designs are "no-brainers", I could rely on the pattern if I got stuck or unsure of myself.


Fabric Used:
No pill fleece

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
None this time!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would definitely recommend the pattern. 

Conclusion: 
I don't have a photo of my finished project, however I really liked this pattern. Simple lines. Even with surging I still managed to do this in about 2 1/2 hours including cutting and pinning pattern, cutting fabric, sewing and finishing.  I highly recommend surging or do good hand sewn seam finishing on this pattern since it is so flowing and the inside of the garment will be seen during movement. 

1 comment: